Friday, November 25, 2005

Jeff Granger Launching the Leadership Revolution

The Launching A Leadership Revolution (LLR) staff caught up with top achiever Jeff Granger. Jeff and his lovely wife Barb have built a massive business with thousands of business owners. Jeff & Barb left their respective fields of work and now build their business full-time. Jeff went full-time in the business after leaving his corporation as the number one sales representative. Barb left her position as an administrative assistant.

LLR: Jeff, what did you see in this business originally?

Jeff Granger: Well, at first, not much. We had bought into a franchise venture several years before the Team business and were disappointed by the lack of support from our franchisors. We built the franchise to the point of going full-time, only to have it fall apart when the franchisor changed some rules. Barb and I assumed all of the bills and were left on the verge of bankruptcy. When I heard that Barb was excited about a new business I was skeptical, to say the least.

LLR: You mean Barb actually started building the business without you?

Jeff Granger: Exactly, Barb had 25-plus people on the team before I went to my first meeting. She kept talking about Orrin and Laurie Woodward and saying I had to meet them. Finally, Barb set up a meeting at our house and Orrin came over to show the plan. I was so fearful of dreaming again that I didn't even attend the meeting at my own house. I could tell Barb was excited, but after getting our hopes up in the last business, I knew it would be tough to dream again.

LLR: What helped you break through your fears and dream again?

Jeff Granger: I watched Orrin. I was waiting for him to say something that he would not follow through with. I've had my full share of people without integrity and I was not getting back into any business, unless I could vouch for their integrity. Barb’s sister was having a meeting and she called to tell Orrin not to come. She said no one was able to make it that night, but Orrin said he was coming anyway. When I heard he was driving over an hour to do a meeting when no one would be there, I decided to go and talk with him. Orrin showed me how the Team system worked and I got excited. I liked studying the numbers and when I studied the power player system, I knew it would work.

LLR: Did your business explode after you and Barb started working together?

Jeff Granger: Hardly. There were many things that I had to change in order to build this business. The first is I had to start believing in myself again. The second is I had to start believing in others again, and the third is I had to learn to take mentorship. It was an 18 month process of getting these things worked out before my business actually took off. So many people expect to be a diamond in 12 months that they don’t take the time to learn the fundamentals. I thought if it took me 5 years it would still be way better than my next-best plan. I will put this business against anybody’s 5 year plan. In 5 years you can literally change your financial standing. Barb and I went from being on the verge of bankruptcy to becoming job optional. We accumulated a six-figure debt-load from our last business that is rapidly being paid off and all of this is due to the success we have had in our Team business.

LLR: What would you say is the key to the Team’s success?

Jeff Granger: The Team has been blessed with strong character-based leadership. Starting with Orrin & Laurie, Chris & Terri, Tim & Amy, to Larry & Marsie, this Team backs up their words with actions. Coming from another environment where this was not the case, I clearly see the difference. There is no leadership without character and that is why I am sold-out to this team. Dwight Eisenhower once said,“In order to be a leader a man must have followers. And to have followers, a man must have their confidence. Hence, the supreme quality of a leader is unquestionable integrity. Without it, no real success is possible… If a man’s associates find him guilty of being a phony, if they find that he lacks forthright integrity, he will fail. His teachings and actions must square with each other. The first great need, therefore, is integrity and high purpose.”I have worked with Orrin Woodward for the past five years and I know of no better description of his leadership style than the above quote. Orrin has taught and continues to teach unquestioned integrity as the key to leadership. I have followed Orrin because he has proven his character over time with me. My goal is to serve others with the integrity and love that the Team leaders have shown to me.

LLR: That is great stuff Jeff. One final question, why do people attack the very notion of character based leadership?

Jeff Granger: That is a excellent question. We live in an age of moral relativism. I believe we will never produce great leaders until we stop denying that morality is important. Morality is things like virtue, honesty, and integrity. Where there is no virtue there is no leadership, no inspiration and no vision. No one will follow for long someone they do not trust. I knew the Team had leadership, inspiration and vision and by meeting the Team leaders, I met the men with the morality backing it up. Find a mentor that you can trust and follow his guidance. That advice has paid off extremely well in my life.

LLR: Jeff thanks for your time today.

0 comments: